Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mia Is Alive With The Sound Of Music

            Recently, I spent a great deal of time working on a personal playlist for my new website.  First of all, let me just say, I didn’t realize how difficult this endeavor would be.  My musical tastes vary, and I have days—yes, days!—worth of music in my iPod.  I admit it…


So, it took me an insane amount of time just to narrow the list down to a manageable number.  But then came the hard part.  I started adding songs to the actual playlist online…and I kept adding…and adding some more.  In the end, I overshot the number of songs I had planned to use by, well by, too many to mention.
            Stressed out, I started asking myself, “Why this song?” or “Why that one?”.  Well, that was pointless.  How could I eliminate the song with a special meaning or the song with the funny story?  What about the one that described the person I am?  What about the one that describes the person I hope to be as I grow and age?  And, I shouldn’t forget the one I love to sing while driving or the one that I dance around my kitchen to.  Yep, this was so not happening.  Nuh uh.  No way, no how.
            Whoa! Hold your horses.  Did I seriously say ‘nuh uh’?  No, that would make me sound like a child who plugged her ears with her fingers, closed her eyes, and ignored her mother who told her to take out the trash.
            I promise that I do not look like this…



(No, I am not Veruca Salt, and I was not in Willy Wonka.  Oh, and I don’t want a golden goose, daddy!)


But, as usual, I digress.
          Obviously, I had to eliminate songs but how could I do it?  Draw straws?  Flip a coin?  What about a counting rhyme? 


Yeah, those ideas would really work…Not!  If I did that, it wouldn’t be a good representation of who I am which would make the whole thing pointless.  After a little deliberation—okay a lot—I decided to break the music down into categories.  The list I came up with…
1.      Naughty Songs for my dirty mind.
2.      Meaningful songs that touch my heart and soul.
3.      Fun songs that make me sing loud, dance goofily, and giggle like crazy.
Wow, I did it.  Now we are getting somewhere, right?  Nope.  I got too into the whole ‘choosing by listening’ process.  I spent some serious time singing and be-bopping which put me way behind.  Hey, in my defense, I’m a music fiend because…


 Eventually, I gave up and just weeded through the list four or five times until I hit the magic number.  Here is what I ended up with…

1.   Naughty Songs:
      • Candyman by Christina Aguilera – One of my favorite lyrics of all time…”He’s a one stop shop, makes my cherry pop.”  
      •  Cherry Pie by Warrant – I think this is self explanatory.  
      •  Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard – This is a fun driving song…and it is dirty.  Double duty. 
      •  Raise Your Glass by P!nk – This song is the anthem to all those ‘dirty little freaks’ like me. 
      •  Dirty Little Thing by Adelitas Way – Another great driving song that I put on repeat while winding around back country roads. 
      •  Dirrrty by Christina Aguilera – I was a teen during the Bubble Gum Pop era, and this song was so taboo.  Needless to say, I snuck around to listen to it—a lot. 
      • S & M by Rihanna – This song contains one of my motto’s ‘Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me.” 
      •  U + Ur Hand by P!nk – How could I not love a song about masturbation? 
2.   Meaningful Songs:
      • Fighter by Christina Aguilera – I went through a lot to become the person I am today, and this song reminds me that every battle only made me stronger. 
      • Beautiful by Christina Aguilera – To me, this song is one that everyone should kno, embrace, and love. ( I promise to not get my soap box out.) 
      •  F**kin’ Perfect by P!nk – I have a soft spot for P!nk and an even softer spot for songs with this kind of uplifting message. 
      •  This I Promise You by NSYNC – Reminds me of my wonderful, loving husband. 
      •  Fireflies by Faith Hill – Reminds me of someone I love more than life itself.
      • Wasted by Carrie Underwood – The message behind this song relates to the reason I followed my dreams to write in the first place. “I don’t wanna spend my life, waiting to wake up one day and find that I’ve let all those years go by wasted.” 
      •  Concrete Angel by Martina McBride – When this song came out, I sat down at a table and wrote a short story about child abuse.  This was the first true piece of writing I had ever written outside of school. 
      •  Tonight I Wanna Cry by Keith Urban This song inspired my first romance short story. 
      •  We Danced by Brad PaisleyThis is Jaycee, Gray, and Cade’s song. It makes my heart happy.
3.   Fun Songs:
      • Two Princes by Spin Doctors – When I was younger, I  sang this song every day for a year.  It brings up such happy memories. 
      •  You Can’t Touch This by MC Hammer – Just because it makes me laugh. 
      •  Ironic by Alanis Morissette – One of my favorite songs to sing.  By the way, it is so true! 
      •  Girls Just Want To Have by Cyndi Lauper – It’s a girlie song that I’ve always loved to dance to. 
      •  Honey, I’m Home by Shania Twain – I love to say, “Honey, I’m home. I’ve had a hard day. Pour me a cold one, and, oh by the way…” when I walk in the house.  It is a running joke.
            If you want to hear the actual songs, you can hear them on the “Fun Stuff” section of my website at http://www.miaashlinn.com/FunStuff.html.  Hope you have a magical, musical day! 

Love and cherries,
-Mia




No comments:

Post a Comment