Monday, July 29, 2013

"Music and Music and Music, Oh My!" on Mia's Monday Madness

This morning I was working on a list of my 5 Music Must-Haves for a blog at Randi Alexander's. Of course, since I'm a music-freak, I was having a hard time with choosing just five. So I thought it might be fun to share a taste of what songs came close to the list but didn't quite make it. As for the top five, you'll have to check back tomorrow for a link to Randi Alexander's Blog. Yes, I'm mean like that!

Top 5

1. Wouldn't you love to know...
2. Guess you'll have to wait...
3. Until tomorrow...
4. At Randi Alexander's blog...
5. To See!

Since I'm a nice girl, I will give you a hint...One of the top five is in the following video:
(Yes, there is more than one song during UT's Salute to the Hill!)



Numbers 6-10

6. Home by Daughtry: When I travel, this song is the one I listen to. It is my cure for being homesick.
7. Two Princess by Spin doctors: I used to sing this song with three of my closest friends. While we have grown apart, I still smile sappily when I hear this song and think of them.
8. My Immortal by Evanescence: Such a gorgeous, touching song.
9. Fighter by Christina Aguilera: Reminds me that I'm a fighter.
10. The Dance by Garth Brooks: While I've had good times and bad, I wouldn't trade any of it for anything.



Alternates (in alphabetical order)
  • 2 Black Cadillacs by Carrie Underwood: I love a song that has an actual story. Not to mention, the lyricist who wrote this song has a serious way with words.
  • Addicted by Saving Abel: I have no clue why I dig this song so much. I just do.
  • Beautiful by Christina Aguilera: The message and vocals are (please excuse the pun) beautiful. But for me, it's the video that moves me.

  • Better Than Me by Hinder: The lead singer's vocals do it for me.
  • Bitch by Meredith Brooks: I aim to be like the woman in this song - a bitch, a lover, a child, a mother, a sinner, a saint, unashamed, someone's hell and their dream, and I'm nothing in between.
  • Chicken Fried by Zac Brown Band: Reminds me of my southern roots.
  • Dirty Little Thing by Adelitas Way: Hello? This is my naughty girl anthem.
  • Don't Laugh at Me by Mark Wills: This song reminds me of being a young, overweight girl in elementary/middle school. During that time, I was made fun of for my battle with my weight. I tried to pretend that it didn't hurt. But it did. And while this song is heartbreaking, it's also an anthem for all of us.
  • F**kin' Perfect by P!nk: I often get lost in self-doubt, and this song is my go-to when I'm struggling. The message inspires me.
  • Girls Just Wanna Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper: A fun, happy song. 
  • I Believe by Blessid Union of Soul: '
  • If by Janet Jackson: I was that little girl who dreamed of dancing like Janet did in this  music video.

  • I'm Your Angel by Celine Dion and R. Kelly: I think we've all lost a loved one. This song gives me hope that they're still with us.
  • Ironic by Alanis Morrissette: I find irony in my daily life. And it always makes me think of this song.
  • Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar: This song makes me think of one of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies.

  • Mine by Taylor Swift: I was the 'careless man's careful daughter' until I met my husband so I have a soft spot for this song.
  • One More Night by Maroon 5: This is a fabulous driving song.
  • Oops! I Did It Again by Britney Spears: Back when this song came out, I had a very close friend who had a crush on Britney. Because of his obsession, I have very fond memories of him whenever I hear this song. 
  • Pocketful of Sunshine by Natasha Bedingfield: I'm all about the happy, and this is a happy song.
  • Raise Your Glass by P!nk: Come on, I'm a 'dirty little freak' so it's nice to find a song that celebrates those of us who are 'wrong in all the right ways.'
  • Red by Taylor Swift: There are three things I love as a writer/reader - word use, alliterations, and symbolism. Taylor hits two of these three in this song. That alone put her on this list.
  • Shut Up and Drive by Rihanna: My inner car-a-holic feels strongly about this song.
  • Silent House by Dixie Chicks: My grandfather suffered from Alzheimer's before his death a few years ago. And for me, he was the man I measured all other men by. Before my husband came into my life, he was the only man I truly knew, the only man I trusted enough to let close to me. He was the one man I loved and respected. True, he wasn't perfect. He would be the first to tell you that. But it didn't matter. He was my confidant. For all purposes, he was my father. And I miss him. But I remember those last years. I remember how over time, his memories faded. I remember the struggle he had when he couldn't remember his friends or their names. I remember how we used to remind him things and how his personality changed. Still, though, we wanted to help him and 'carry it all' for him so that 'he could forget.' And I think that every person who has a loved one suffering from Alzheimer's will understand what we went through. Think they understand this song and lyrics. It will touch them the same way it did me.
  • Thank You by Keith Urban: Like most people, I went through a period that was very difficult for me. And I'm thank for the people who stood by and loved me through it. Their support got me through darkest days. This song caputres my feelings for those precious people.
  • Tis Woman Needs by SHeDAISY: I danced to this song on my first date with my husband so it's quite sentimental to me.
  • Tonight I Wanna Cry by Keith Urban: My first attempt at writing was inspired by this song. And while I never finished that story, the song is special.
  • Who I Am by Jessica Andrews: This song came out when I was at that awkward age where I wasn't a kid, but I wasn't an adult, either. I was trying to find myself. So because of that, this song helped me through those times.
  • Without You by Hinder: No particular reason for this one. It's just a great song.


Love and cherries,
-Mia


No comments:

Post a Comment