Wednesday, August 24, 2011

“Hello. My name is Mia, and I’m a Menage-aholic.”

                The first step is to admit your problem, right? 
Well, in my case, I do not think that this is a problem in any way.  It’s a pleasure.   An extremely gratifying, pleasurable indulgence.  Or maybe, I should say satisfying.  Ah, it doesn’t matter.  Its just semantics.  The sentiment is that ménages are sinfully sweet - a delightfully delicious deviation from conventional , and usually stereotypical, love stories. 
Please do not misunderstand me.  I am not saying that there is anything wrong with an everyday, run-of-the-mill relationship.  Quite the opposite, actually.  I believe that all love was created equal.  As long as love is a part of the equation, then it is a beautiful thing.  It does not matter if it is MM, MF, FF, or MFM, MMF, or MFMM….okay, you get the idea.  People should not judge a relationship based on what society deems to be acceptable or not.
                Menages are definitely considered taboo, but I think that so many people are missing out on reading great love stories.  Reading a ménage a trios (or ménage a quatre or ménage a cinq…etc. etc.) can be blazing hot in the sex department, but there is more to it.  It is about the relationships too.  I am moved by men and women who are willing to defy society to be together.  Their love is so undeniable that they are willing to risk ridicule and censure just to be together.  Of course, they often cannot come completely clean; however, seriously, people are going to talk about three (or more) people living together for their entire life.  It is inevitable.  People love to gossip too much to let that little tidbit slide. Plus, it is just too damn hard to hide love from everyone around you.  It is in a person’s eyes.  Its in a person’s body language.  Their touch.  Their demeanor.  I don’t know about most people, but when I am with a couple, it is fairly obvious how they feel about each other AND if they are lovers or not.  Hello?  How can people miss the signs?  They can’t – unless they are blind or totally oblivious.  It might as well be tattooed across the people’s forehead.  “I love Peter and Paul” or “I’m With Him…and Him.”  You get the picture.
Another element to ménages that I relish is that the woman (in MFM stories) is at the center of the love story.  As a woman, it is a fantasy to be the center of the love of a few good men.  To be so cherished.  And loved.  And protected.  Hmmmm….the thoughts running through my mind are endless with possibilities.  I have a wonderful husband who I adore, but the thought of more than one of him could be fill some very intriguing fantasy. Hey, I cannot say that it has NEVER crossed my mind.  I would be lying.  Seriously, look at what I read and write.  As far as reality, no way would I want for this to be the case.  I can barely handle one of him…two would probably kill me…but, oh, what a way to go.  *giggles*
I may be egocentric enough to fantasize about a gaggle of men loving me (in and out of the bedroom), but this does not exclude the stories that involve the men having a relationship within the relationship.  To me, this is just as enchanting as any other ménage.  There is something so appealing to me at the thought of three people who are all in love with each other and not a woman being the center of the love.  In these stories, it is wonderful to watch three people who love each other equally without any favoritism.  In this case, I feel that the love is unbelievably solid.  All parties love all parties so the jealousies are diminished significantly.  It is much easier to share something with someone that you love with all your heart.  It is instinctual.  When the woman is the central part of the relationship, there is more chance for complications – at least that is my belief.  So, I never, ever knock a true ménage.
Sooooo….I have danced around the biggest draw for me to reading and writing ménages:  THE SEX.  I totally have to capitalize and underline this because it is such a large element in ménages.  Honestly, its one of my favorite elements – go figure.  Reading about three or more people in bed is so amazingly hot that I think that one of these days, I will very well get scorched.  That would be a fun one to explain to a doctor:
Doctor Smith:  So, how did this injury occur this time?
Me:  Well, I was reading another book about a ménage and it was so fiery that the flames shot out of the story and singed me.
Doctor Smith:  Again?  Maybe you should be more careful this time around.  I think that you should avoid these sort of books for a couple of weeks until the third-degree burns heal completely.
Me:  Thanks Doc.  See you in a couple of weeks.
Oh, yeah.  That would go real well.  It would be as embarrassing and uncomfortable as a visit to the gynecologist for my annual pap smear.  TMI alert.
Anyway, I will wrap this up because it is getting seriously long.  I just would like to impress upon everyone that ménage books are unconventional; however, they are also captivating, tantalizing, and fascinating.  I know that not everyone love them, and that is fine for them.  They have the right to choose.  But for me, I chose to read ménages a few months ago, and I found something that forever changed me as a writer.  I grew up very sheltered, and I am broken-hearted because of this.  If I had not been raised that way, I would have found my calling long ago.  After many years of writing about things that I had no interest in, I have found my passion, my calling.  So, I think that I will amend my original statement to:  “Hello.  My name is Mia, and I know who I am.  I’m an Erotic Romance Writer, and I love it!”
-Mia
Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken.”  -Author Unknown  (Its awful, I know – but seriously funny! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment